Saturday, April 13, 2013

April Tim Holtz Tag

I'd like to share my version of the Tim Holtz April tag.
I was seriously lacking in supplies for this one. Especially since my local stores don't carry the distress paints :( I had to improvise by rummaging through my crafty stash! Nothing like a challenge!

To create the striated, texture background I used crayons and a heat gun!
I started by randomly coloring bits of the tag with crayon, pressing hard. Then I blasted it with the heat gun to mesh the colors together. I repeated this to add an extra layer of color.

Next, I added a stamp of a butterfly (all my dragonflies were too small). I used Staz On Ink so that it would adhere to the wax.

I also added some words to the bottom corner. For the wings, I took a piece of plastic packaging; stamped it with the same butterfly image using Staz On; cut it out and used the heat gun to give the wings some movement. I held the butterfly with my sissors to keep from burning my fingers!

I attached the wings on top of the tag with a color staple. Now, on to the embellishments! I used crayons, Zing Metallic Copper embossing powder and Glossy Accents adhesive.
First, I took some chip board pieces, jewelry findings, and a polymer clay piece and colored them with crayon. Then melted it with the heat gun:

On the rose, I traced parts of the petals with Glossy Accents and added the embossing powder.

For the bird, I covered the entire thing with adhesive and embossing powder. I then went back with the crayon and colored some random bits. Then, I used the heat gun again!

On the polymer piece, I added lines of adhesive and embossing powder.

I covered as much of the jewelry findings as I could with adhesive and embossing powder the parts where the fingers get in the way will leave the crayon showing through.

Now, I folded the jewelry pieces into little tacos!

I added glossy accents to the front and back of the tag's bottom corner and clamped the 2 copper "tacos" into place.

Using Glossy Accents, I glued the other pieces to the tag.

To the Ribbon! I used some thick ribbon with a butterfly pattern. It was in serious need of some color though so I grabbed the crayons! In a similar fashion to the background of the tag, I colored on the ribbon and melted; then repeated the process.

It was still a bit lacking so, I grabbed the embossing powder again. Using Glossy Accents, I traced random bits of the butterfly wings and covered it in the copper embossing powder!

The ribbon, being somewhat stiff with wax, needed a good crumpling and then through the tag hole it goes! And now my tag is all ready for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading!